The Oil Miller's Arms

CLOSED: This discussion has concluded.

Black and white picture of the two storey Oil Millers Arms.  It is a brick building with a white windows and signsThe Oil Miller's Arms stood on the corner of East Marsh Street and Holles Street and is now the site of Machine Mart. Licensed in 1866, the pub took its name from the nearby oil mill at the end of East Mash Street.

Originally a beerhouse, there was a petition against its licence in 1866 by the Teetotal Society due to the number of beerhouses in the area, up from 19 in 1864 to an incredible 33 by 1865!

The pub was built of red brick and resembled many of the terrace houses it served (especially the upper floor with its plan sash windows and roofline the same as many houses along this street) however, the ground floor was distinguished by its mullioned bar windows and corner entrance marked by pilasters and signage above.

In 1879, George Beavers (aged 15) stole £17 from the till of the landlord, his Uncle George Kerman. Police later found much of the stolen money hidden in a rabbit hutch and coal house at his sister's house. The crime earned Beavers 6 months hard labour – it was, after all, his 4th theft from the pub!

Like so many pubs during this era, several inquests on the deaths of young children were held at the Oil Millers Arms; this included the landlord's son Raymond Schofield (aged 8), who tragically died when his nightgown caught light after going behind the fire guard.

The pub continued to operate until the 1980s, when it was put up for sale and the site demolished soon afterwards.

Engagement has concluded

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing:">Load Comment Text</span>