The Black Swan

CLOSED: This discussion has concluded.

Black and white photo of the two story Black Swan pub, built in 1699Established in the 17th Century, the Black Swan was a corner pub on Victoria Street and Flottergate and one of the oldest in Grimsby.

At some point, the pub was re-fronted with quoins and a parapet with updated windows on each floor. A shop front was added with fluted pilasters, cornice and a wainscoted base.

Black and white image of the new rebuilt Black Swan Inn. In 1925, The Black Swan was demolished and rebuilt in a vernacular style like many pubs during the interwar period. A double gabled front marked the corner point of the new inn, and an extra storey was added across the build.

The windows were different on each floor, a mixture of traditional ideas of the English Inn with the use of narrow stone mullion windows along the ground floor.

In contrast, the gable's window heads were crowned with classically inspired (demi-lune) pediments. Known locally as the 'mucky duck', the pub was demolished to make way for the Riverhead Shopping Precinct in the early 1970s.

Engagement has concluded

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing:">Load Comment Text</span>